Saturday, January 30, 2010

CHARLEY'S CHOWDER

CHARLEY'S CHOWDER
Recipe by Chef Larry
(Yield: 8 servings)

1/4 cup olive oil
3 medium garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
1 cup onion, finely diced
1/2 cup celery, finely diced
1/4 teaspoon basil
1/4 teaspoon oregano Pinch of thyme
8 to 10 whole plum tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped into 1/4-inch pieces
(or 2 cups stewed tomatoes, finely chopped, without the juice)
1 cup tomato sauce
6 cups clam juice
1 pound boneless pollack, cut into 1-inch cubes
2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
Salt to taste

1. In a 4-quart soup pot, heat olive oil. Add garlic. When the garlic turns brown,
remove it quickly with a slotted spoon and discard. Reduce the heat.
2. Add celery, onions and spices to oil. Cook over medium heat for 5 minutes.
3. Add tomatoes and tomato sauce; simmer for 5 minutes.
4. Add clam juice and pollack. Cover and bring to a boil.
5. Remove cover and boil for 10 minutes longer. With a wire whisk, whip soup to break up fish into pea-sized flakes.
6. Reduce to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes.
7. Add parsley and salt to taste.

©1998-2003 C.A. Muer Corporation

7 comments:

  1. I worked with Chuck Muer at Charley's Crab and opened Northville Charlie's in Northville Tavern type restaurant at Charley's Crab, the original one on Long Lake, the chowder recipe was different than all these recipes. There was green pepper in it or the Trinity as it's known celery onion and green pepper. I remember the soup had to be boiled on a high boil for a time that I can't quite remember. There was no tomato sauce in it in it just a can of stewed tomatoes. There were no whole tomatoes crushed, and certainly not 20 cups of clam juice. There was a bottle of tomato juice that you refilled with water and a couple bottles of clam juice that you also refilled with water. Those are the things I remember putting the fish in the boiling base and risking it to break up the fish. I'm trying to make it right now and I'm very confused about all these recipes that are all conflicting. I don't know how it's going to turn out because it's been many many years since I've made it and I lost my recipe. I guess I'll let you know when it's over, I just don't understand all these different recipes. I remember Chef Larry and I remember opening Northville Charlie's with Bill Kruise. I hope this turns out like the wonderful chowder served out of the porcelain soup tureens overlooking the lake in the original Charlie's Crab that burned down unfortunately before the restaurant in Troy opened. I'll let you know if you're interested check back. Okay

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was Clamato juice, not tomato juice......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you somehow get this reply. Please read comment below re Northville Charlie’s pizza recipe

      Delete
  3. Omg, Mary S I hope you read this again! I have been searching for Northville Charlie’s pizza recipe for 30 years to no avail! If anyone might know it or where to find it it could be you. Even people at chuck Myers headquarters don’t know what I am talking about...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. Hi John, I can't believe I found your request shortly after you posted it. I haven't looked at this page for 8 months. I do remember the pizza that Chef Larry created and guarded the recipe to the max. I have to say it had a very unique taste, but he wouldn't tell anyone except Chuck what the recipe was. Not even Bill Kruse. I have to go and put together a pot of chowder right now but I'll get back to you again.

      Delete
    2. Hi again John....I just replied to your request for Chef Larry's pizza recipe. But I don't see that it posted even though it said it posted. I have to say as I said in my comment but I'm not sure posted that Chef Larry did in fact create a pizza for Northville Charlie's and wouldn't give the recipe to anyone who guarded it like the biggest secret ever. The only person that I know of that new the recipe was Chuck himself. I don't think he even shared it with Bill Kruse. As I said before, I will see what I can do and follow with another reply much sooner than the 8 months it took me to return to this page.

      Delete

Meredith’s Olive Focaccia

  Olive Focaccia 150g sourdough starter 337.5g water 450 grams AP flour 1tsp yeast 105g olives 1.5 tsp salt    Bloom yeast i...